About Golden Lion (HT)
Press this YouTube link or read below.
In 1801, a census showed there were 180 private houses in Rochford, and a population of 1,228 people. The only water available was from the river or from wells. The Golden Lion (thought to be known as the Red Lyon from 1649 until 1861) had a reliable well in the yard at the back, which was available to the residents of North Street.
The first recorded landlord, W. Barnes, was in 1874. Many tradesmen of that time held down more than one job.
Fred Crowe ran the pub from 1887 to 1909, changing his main occupation from that of a plumber but still odd-jobbing on the side.
His son, also Fred, carried on for a few of these years but was more of a glazier by trade. Another plumber, an A. Warner, became the landlord from 1909. After this, breweries started to take interest in owning pubs. Wells & Perry – the forerunners of Taylor & Walker – were then responsible for the Golden Lion for some years until in October 1961 when the pub was sold to a private tenant, and is now a free house.
The wooden cladding is a typical example of Essex weatherboarding, which was common in the area.
|Address:||35 North St|