About Rose & Crown (HT)
Press this YouTube link or read below.
Built in 1803 as the ‘Crown’, the Georgian inn dominated the corner of North Street and Weir Pond Road. It’s not known when the ‘Rose’ was introduced, but it was prior to 1878.
It served travellers as a coaching inn, the coach leaving three times a week. Weary or inebriated folk could spend the night in a shed at the rear of the premises for the grand sum of 4 old pence (which is just under 2p), which secured a straw ‘pad’. Police took interest in the shed, visiting from time to time.
One particular night an Inspector Chase from the local station entered the shed and nudged a snoozing form. As the figure arose, it dawned on Inspector Chase this was not a man. He’d roused a bear – the dancing bear that entertained people in the square! Perhaps the aptly named Inspector was himself chased that night!
|Address:||42 North St|
|Categories:||Historical, Point of Interest|