History of Almshouses (HT)
This row of six single-storey almshouses was founded in 1567 by a bequest of Lord Rich of Leez Priory upon his death at Rochford Hall. The date of 1567 on the plaque on the right hand gable is misleading as construction did not actually start until much later, making them late 16thor early 17thcentury.
They are built in red brick in a very early example of Flemish bond, which is where each row of bricks has alternate headers (the end of the brick) and stretchers (the side of the brick) along it. This style became much more popular in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The row has a red plain tiled roof with forward gables at either end. There are three red brick chimney stacks with small buttresses to the bases serving the cottages. This row of unassuming cottages on the edge of the historic town are amongst Rochford’s oldest buildings, so are well worth a look.